Motivating people back into exercise with routines that suit their fitness levels and lifestyle
The first step was to define the problem to be solved. Using the 5 Ws provided in the design brief, I drafted a problem statement and potential solution.
The Scavenger Hunt player needs to have an easy way of organising games at different locations because she wants to share a refreshing outdoor experience with her friends and family.
I believe that a gamified mobile app that uses augmented reality to discover virtual items will simplify the set-up of a Social Scavenger Hunt game and motivate people to learn and explore nature.
The next step was to conduct secondary online research to identify what products are currently being used by the target users to solve the problem and to understand how my solution will fit the market.
There are several solutions to Social Scavenger Hunts. I chose GeoCaching and GooseChase because they focus on visiting physical locations. I ran a competitive analysis that included a Competitor profile, a SWOT analysis and a UX Analysis.
The research plan consisted of conducting semi-structured interviews with participants who matched the target audience. The goal was to learn more about:
I went through the interview recordings and notes of each participant looking for behaviours, attitudes, quotes and facts that could help to inform my research goals and to identify their frustrations, needs and goals. I organised the data using colour-coded cards per participant.
Using affinity mapping, I identified common themes in my research findings and created the following insight statements
With this new understanding, I re-framed the problem as a “How Might We” question and refined the first proposed solution.
The insights gathered during research provided a starting point to understand who I was designing for and to develop user personas.
Before moving into the design stage, I compiled a Business Requirements Document to help me communicate the goal of the project, including a list of functional requirements and a roadmap. Finally, I built a Trello board with the roadmap to plan and action the workload ahead.
I broke down functional requirements into user stories and job stories to develop a clear understanding of the user’s context and what their motivations and the desired outcome might be.
Working with Tegan as the primary user persona, I developed journey maps and user flows, so I could imagine the user’s context and the way they could potentially interact with the app to achieve their goals.
A part of this task was to perform a content audit to learn from competitor products. Using the content audit outcome, journey mapping and user flows, I designed the initial Information Architecture of the app and refined it using open card sorting tests with participants online.
Using rapid prototyping, I started sketching ideas and kept iterating towards a testable version of the app.
Initially, a fogged map that cleared as the player walked along sounded like a good idea.
But bushwalking after a big storm made me realise that the player’s surroundings could be unsafe, and having clear navigation was best. So I removed the fog but kept the concept of showing a cue for something to be discovered only when the player was near it.
After the first round of testing, it was clear that the map wasn’t engaging the players in a quest to be completed by discovering everything, so I added cues for all the hidden items along the track.
Once the first interactive prototype was ready for testing, I developed the usability test plan and scripts, recruited participants, and conducted moderated in-person usability test sessions.
The findings from the usability testing plus expert feedback from the course mentor, tutor, and other students were a valuable input to iterate the design and build a high fidelity prototype.
The results of the usability testing highlighted that the participants found the initial concept confusing. It was eye-opening observing the participants interacting with the prototype in a totally different way than I expected. Because this was early in the design process, I was able to revisit and change the design with ease.
As a software developer, you don’t often think about presenting your work in the form of a case study. This project has taught me the need to build each case study as you go, so once finished, it is easier to keep a portfolio up to date.